Saturday, January 8, 2011

Flora and Fauna of the Cape

I was totally overwhelmed by the animal life I spotted during our day trip to the Cape of Good Hope. At first I thought I wouldn't see anything, that all quickly changed when we passed a troop of Baboons on the road! It was so exciting, and a bit nerve wrecking, you see so many signs. Baboons are dangerous, keep your windows up, don't feed them etc etc..... They were pretty chill guys, just hanging out by the roadside hoping for a tasty hand out.
The Ostriches on the other hand were so fascinating! They are such HUGE, awkward birds,  we got really close to one till I got too paranoid about going off the path. I kept hoping we would stumble upon a nest of eggs or something cool like that, but no luck. We also saw large antelope called Eland They are the largest species of Antelope, and standing at over 6 ft in height they looked giant even from a long distance, like really big cows with curved horns.
That's just the animals, I haven't even said anything about the gorgeous plant life. The cape has been described as  "one of the richest areas for plants in the world" who knew that my current backyard is home to nearly 20% of the continent's flora. Africa is an incredible place the more I see, the more I want to learn about it.

3 comments:

  1. I think that I can relate to the 'Baboons are dangerous and attracted by food'... it *should* read 'Amy is dangerous and attracted by food.' Whoever said evolution is dead?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. too awesome what you are seeing and experiencing over there...appreciate you sharing your photos too...Alex and Pheebs really enjoy looking at them with me!
    we love you and miss you and hope to see you soon!
    xo!
    cher

    ReplyDelete
  3. You take gorgeous pics!! What a great trip!

    ReplyDelete